LA Program Overview
Leadership Ashland is a division of the Ashland Area Chamber of Commerce. Its mission is to increase the quantity and quality of leaders in Ashland County by enhancing leadership skills, discovering community assets,and creating opportunities for service.
Leadership Ashland is designed to:
- Identify existing and emerging community leaders
- Acquaint participants with community needs and issues
- Broaden participants’ understanding of decision making processes in Ashland County
- Prepare participants to make a positive impact on community organizations’ decision-making
The Leadership Ashland Program identifies emerging and existing community leaders and strives to acquaint them with issues that are central to Ashland County and to increase their understanding of how decisions are made in the community. Founded in 1990, Leadership Ashland has over 450 graduates with a strong Alumni Association offering many exciting networking opportunities.
Community members are invited to request application forms for themselves or to nominate other community members for the program. Applicants are then interviewed and selected on the basis of current leadership ability, exceptional motivation and commitment, and willingness to serve the community.
- Each new year begins with a retreat in September.
- Classes will meet one day a month until graduation in June with each class deciding on issues and topics of their interest to be studied throughout their LA experience.
- One of the classes includes a tour of Ashland County; the other sessions will be planned by class teams focusing on a community topic such as business and industry, culture and recreation, education, government, or health and social services. The final wrap-up session in June is followed by a graduation.
- Each class also includes a leadership skills development unit.
- Each class member also selects a community agency board to attend and observe at least 3 meetings and will report back to the class with their findings.
The Leadership Ashland Program strives to provide relevant information for leadership instruction. A leadership skills development unit, taken from the book "The Leadership Challenge" by Jim Kouzes and Barry Posner, is presented at each Leadership Ashland class. The topics covered include:
- Inspiring a shared vision
- Enabling others to act
- Challenging the process
- Modeling the way
- Encouraging the heart
To learn more about "The Leadership Challenge" CLICK HERE
The cost of the program is as follows:
- $850 - Chamber members (if your company is a member, you as an employee are also a member)
- $1100 - Non-Chamber members (to receive the member discount - consider joining today)